[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Dan Morin" <DMorin at ABBCOInc dot com>
 To:  "Justin Ellison" <justin at techadvise dot com>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Bridge + Traffic Shaper
 Date:  Tue, 9 Aug 2005 20:26:56 -0400
Justin-Thanks for your suggestion...you were correct and it now works
for the most part.

I'm running a Voice over IP server (Asterisk) and I want to prioritize
all of my VoIP traffic above everything else.  Right now, if things on
my network are uploading, it is shaping great and there are hardly any
interruptions in voice traffic (although still some...).  However,
whenever the download spikes from nothing to maybe half of my total
bandwidth, the voice traffic will get choppy for a second.  I know you
can't really control when you receive packets, however, this seems odd
that I still have bandwidth available, but it's loosing packets.

But for now, it's 1000 times better than no QoS, so I'm pretty happy.
Let me know if anyone else is running a VoIP server and has any
suggestions.  Thanks,
Dan