[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] hi everybody anybody interesting?? -m0n0wall documentation spanish translation-
 Date:  Wed, 10 Aug 2005 10:41:37 -0400
On 8/10/05, Marc <telenieko at gmail dot com> wrote:

> After thinking on that I realised that maybe the real good thing would
> be that Manuel allowed a full change of the m0n0wall website moving it
> to something like TikiWiki and create a fully multilingual site on the
> official one allowing content to be co-operative and multilingual
> (also de docs which could be wiki pages)

Very unlikely to happen, the reasons for which I'll quote Manuel:

"Experience shows that people are often eager to start something new,
but lose interest and give up or go away after a while, so it'd be
hard to keep all the different languages synchronized. Failure to do
so would lead to incomplete or mixed (with English) translations -
something which immediately creates a very bad impression in most
users. Furthermore, translating the interface of a firewall isn't as
easy as it seems - the translator needs to fully understand all the
concepts that are involved in order to produce accurate translations.

Side note: the native language of the author of m0n0wall is not
English either. However, he believes that anyone who's trying to
accomplish anything non-trivial with a firewall, especially an open
source one, will never get around learning English anyway."

from: http://m0n0.ch/wall/docbook/faq-translations.html

and most all applies the same to translating the site, documentation, etc.

I've gotten probably two dozen emails from people wanting to translate
things in the last year, and I'm sure Manuel's probably gotten a few
times that many since the project's inception, and it just never
happens.  People say they'll do it, and never deliver anything.

The m0n0wall documentation (and maybe entire site, I wasn't involved
at the time...) started out in Drupal due to similar enthusiasm on
getting things going as a community.  Once it got going, it died very
quickly.

Don't expect to see many, if any, changes from the way things are done
now.  Manuel has "been there and done that", and it went nowhere.
Other people have started sites similar to what you're talking about
and they went nowhere.

Not to discourage you guys from starting something up though!  If you
have the time and commitment, start a site and see what happens.

-Chris