[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Marc <telenieko at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  EN-ES: Multilingual m0n0 contents (WAS: hi everybody anybody interesting...)
 Date:  Thu, 11 Aug 2005 02:04:12 +0200
A) EN: I post that new thread trying to take the most of the thread
called: hi everybody anybody interesting (...) as it was originally in
spanish so non-spanish members can keep in touch with it, I'll only
write down the most notable things on the thread, and I'd be nice to
see following posts being bi-lingual as far as posters can write both
languages, anyway I'll try to translate english posts to spanish and
vice-versa (ofcourse, any other volunteer is welcome!) so nobody is
excluded from the topic! (you can try with a tri-lingual thread...
w0w!)

A) ES: Mando este nuevo tema con la intencion de reunir lo mas
importante del tema llamado: hi everybody anybody interesting (...)
que originalmente estaba en espanyol de modo que los miembros que no
lo entiendan puedan mantener el contacto con este tema. Tan solo
citare las partes mas notorias del tema original, seria bueno intentar
que los subsiguientes envios fueran bi-lingues en tanto que el
escritor pueda escribir ambas lenguas. Por mi parte intentare traducir
los posts en castellano al ingles y vice-versa (por supuesto,
cualquier voluntario es bienvenido!) de modo que nadie queda excluido
del asunto! (tambien podeis probar con un tema tri-lingue... w0w!)

B) EN: I have intentionally removed all non-ascii characters like
accents to avoid display problem on non-latin computers (hope nobody
minds of the 'ny' on espanyol).

B) ES: He omitido intencionadamente los caracteres no ascii como
acentos para evitar problemas en ordenadores no latinos (espero que
nadie se moleste por el 'ny' de espanyol.

C) EN: The following users have expressed they're willing to help with
translations:
C) ES: Los siguientes usuarios han mostrado su deseo de ayudar con las
traducciones:
  * Ariel Rincon Falconi
  * Hugo Trujillo
  * Ivan Blanco
  * Homero Thomson

D) EN: From the original post we can extract: (thanks to Chris Buechler)
Quote from Manuel, on: http://m0n0.ch/wall/docbook/faq-translations.html

"Experience shows that people are often eager to start something new,
but lose interest and give up or go away after a while, so it'd be
hard to keep all the different languages synchronized. Failure to do
so would lead to incomplete or mixed (with English) translations -
something which immediately creates a very bad impression in most
users. Furthermore, translating the interface of a firewall isn't as
easy as it seems - the translator needs to fully understand all the
concepts that are involved in order to produce accurate translations.

Side note: the native language of the author of m0n0wall is not
English either. However, he believes that anyone who's trying to
accomplish anything non-trivial with a firewall, especially an open
source one, will never get around learning English anyway."

D) ES: Del tema original podemos extraer: (gracias a Chris Buechler)
Cita de Manuel en: http://m0n0.ch/wall/docbook/faq-translations.html

"La experiencia muestra que la gente a menudo se presta a iniciar algo
nuevo pero pierden interes y lo dejan o se marchan tras algun tiempo,
de modo que seria dificil mantener distintos idiomas sincronizados.
Fallar al hacer esto llevaria a traducciones incompletas o mezcladas
(con ingles), algo que immediatamente crearia una mala impresion en la
mayoria de usuarios. Ademas, traducir la interficie de un firewall no
es tan facil como parece - el traductor debe entender completamente
todos los conceptos implicados con el fin de producir traducciones
acotadas.

Nota: la lengua nativa del autor de m0n0wall no es, tampoco, el
ingles. Aun asi, el cree que cualquiera intentado lograr algo no
trivial con un firewall, especialmente uno de codigo libre, no se
pensaria aprender ingles de todos modos."

E) EN: My own suggestion (Marc Fargas) is: I can build a tikiwiki
based site on my personal server (10Mbps / 1250GB month) to make a try
without a domain assigned to it (for the moment) so we can see how it
could work (I'll try to reproduce the contents on the official site
and the documentation) then anybody interested could try to start a
community effort based on that, then if this works and the idea is
welcome the site could be given to manuel's hands so he decides
whether or not use it as a new official multi-lingual m0n0 site. About
paragraph D, if there's a major help from people of a language he
should have no fear of people leaving, so as long as there's one
translator the content would be up-to-date. Anyway,  why I say with
'without a domain' is 'that is a beta, it's not official, where're
seeing how that works' not only for spanish but maybe as a full
community with tips&tricks and so on.

E) ES: Mi propia sugerencia (Marc Fargas) es: Puedo montar un site
basado en tikiwiki en mi servidor personal (10Mbps / 1250GB al mes)
para hacer un intento, sin un dominio asignado (por el momento) de
modo que podamos ver como podria funcionar la idea (intentaria
reproducir los contenidos de la pagina oficial y la documentacion) de
modo que cualquiera interesado podria intentar iniciar un esfuero
comunitario basado en ello, si esto funciona y la idea es bienvenida
podriamos entregar el sitio a Manuel de modo que decida si usarlo como
un nuevo sitio oficial multilingue. Acerca del parafo D, si hay
suficiente ayuda desde un idioma no deberiamos tener miedo de la gente
que pueda rendirse o marchar puesto que mientras haya un traductor el
contenido estara al dia. De todos modos, la idea de 'sin un dominio'
significa 'esto es una beta, no es oficial, estamos mirando que tal
funciona' no solo para los espanyoles sino com un esfuerzo de toda la
comunidad con 'trucos' y demas.

E2) EN: All here are suggestions, a communitty effort, a new site,
tikiwiki, all are ideas. I don't mean that 'we must use tikiwiki' for
example, but that's the one I one, so that's the one with the one know
how to build what I think we're all thinking about (paragraph E).

E2) ES: Todo aqui son sugerencias, un esfuerzo comunitario, un nuevo
sitio, tikiwiki, todo son ideas. No quiero decir "debemos utilizar
tikiwiki" por ejemplo, pero ese es el que conozco, de modo que es con
el que, almenos yo, sabria como montar lo que creo estamos pensando
(parrafo E).

E3) EN: That's the last one, I really insist on the idea of 'without a
domain' so that gives us two ways 'a full community effort, officially
supported' and 'start an un-official m0n0wall site' in case that is
not welcome

E3) ES: Este es el ultimo, insisto realmente en la idea de 'sin
dominio' de modo que existan dos alternativas 'un esfuerzo comunitario
con soporte oficial' y 'empezar un sitio m0n0wall no oficial' en caso
de este no ser bienvenido.

F) EN: THANKS for your attention to all of us, hope we can take
something out from all that lines (I think I've never written such a
long long message) and any ideas are really welcome.
F) ES: GRACIAS a todos por vuestra atencion, espero que podamos sacar
algo de todas estas lineas (me parece  que nunca he escrito un mensaje
tan tan largo) y cualquier idea es bienvenida!

Marc Fargas.

PS (EN): On answers, please indicate the message language on the subject!!!!!!!
PD (ES): En las respuestas, por favor indicad el idioma del mensaje en
el asunto!!!!!!!!