[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Brendan Zoglman <brendan at kwintek dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: Monowall with Vonage VOIP
 Date:  Wed, 10 Aug 2005 23:30:04 -0500
Ok guys this is my first time using a mailing list so bear with me if I
do this completely wrong.  I was browsing the archive trying to get
answers for some of my question when I saw this and I decided to share
what we did to get this to work.  We (we being myself and my roommates)
got Vonage and bought their broadband phone box thingy.  They want you
to stick it out in front of your firewall.  We didn't like that idea but
we couldn't find the ports listed anywhere.  So we called them up and
and asked.  They would not give us the ports unless our service provider
needed them to open the correct ports.  So we said well of course we are
calling on behalf of our service provider :-).  Well the ports are:
port: 5060-5061 UDP and port:10000-20000 UDP.

But doing this would give us good signal when there wasn't heavy traffic
but if there were too many people using the Internet we ran into quality
problems.  So we did 2 things.  We got a managed switch for our LAN and
gave the Vonage box highest priority.  We also made rules in the traffic
shaper based on the default ones for file sharing.  We gave them the
highest priority possible...m_High Priority #1 Upload...and...m_High
Priority Download.  Since then there has been no problem even if we
floor the connection we get crystal clear calls.  I am sure the managed
switch part helped but I am willing to bet if you just setup the traffic
shaper you would be alright too.

--
President Andrew Jackson (1836) -- "You are a den of vipers. I intend to rout you out and by the
Eternal God I will rout you out. If the people only understood the rank injustice of our money and

Thomas Jefferson -- "The central bank is an institution of the most deadly hostility existing
against the Principles and form of our Constitution. I am an Enemy to all banks discounting bills or
notes for anything but Coin. If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of
their currency, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow
up around them will deprive the People of all their Property until their Children will wake up
homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered."

Benjamin Franklin -- "Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary
safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."