[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Bagnall" <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall hardware specification
 Date:  Thu, 11 Aug 2005 13:02:02 +0100
> with 3 GE interfaces LAN, WAN and OPT1 - DMZ
> We've planned to put m0n0wall CD iso into a box with the
> following spec.
>   - Pentium IV 3.2 GHZ processor
>   - 1MB L2 Cache/800Mhz
>   - 512MB DDR-2 SDRAM

The main limitation you'll come across is that of the PCI bus itself
(assuming your GigE interfaces are PCI cards). Even best case scenario and
you get one linked to the southbridge, you've still got 2 on the PCI bus
vying for 133MB/sec (estimate 110MB/sec actual throughput).

At full whack, a GigE interface would be 125MB/sec, so it's easy to see PCI
just isn't up to it if you expect those interfaces to be fully loaded most
of the time.

You might be better off getting a dual Xeon board and a single Xeon CPU. I'd
suggest something like the NCCH-DL (or PCH-DL if it's still available). That
includes the Hance Rapids PCI-X controller so you can put your two other
GigE interfaces onto that rather than the PCI bus. You've still got the GigE
integrated into the southbridge (intel chipset - pretty good controller),
which would give you your 3 interfaces.

I can't comment on the user requirements - I've no experience with
deployments of that size.

Out of curiosity, has anyone actually seen close to 125MB/sec out of a GigE
card? The GigE networks I've used have all peaked out at around 47-50MB/sec
regardless of switches, NICs, etc.

Regards,

Chris