[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Seth Martin" <SethM at turbinegenerator dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Traffic Shaper Latency Issues.
 Date:  Tue, 9 Aug 2005 10:17:41 -0400
I have two pipes setup on the m0n0wall traffic shaper running on a
Soekris 4801 board.  One pipe is setup up at 250k and routes all traffic
to and from a terminalsvr at the branch office.  The second pip is 1000k
and takes care of the balance of traffic for file transfers email and
web.  I'm noticing that with them enabled and under load all traffic
latency increases from about 50ms to about 500ms on both pipes
regardless of any delay settings or queues.  Is this just a processing
issue with the system, that when under a full packet load it can't
filter quickly enough and its causing a delay.  Or should I be
specifying something more complex here?  I just really want to reserve a
high priority chunk of bandwidth for the users of the terminal server.
We have a T1.  With traffic shaper disabled and under a full load I'm
averaging about 100ms pings to the remote network.  I am using 1.2b8
should I upgrade to b9 would I expect any improvements to the shaper?

Seth Martin - IT Department
Office Network Administrator

Office: (239) 549-7500 | Cell: (239) 699-4743
Turbine Generator Maintenance
Gas Turbine Maintenance
4635 Coronado Parkway, Suite 7
Cape Coral, FL 33904