[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Don Munyak <don dot munyak at gmail dot com>
 To:  "francois dot parent at us dot tel dot com" <francois dot parent at us dot tel dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Hardware set up question for m0n0wall standard PC configuration
 Date:  Thu, 11 Aug 2005 17:00:30 -0400
> I have a linksys router with 1 wan port and 4 lan ports.

Is this a linksys router with the VOIP built-in feature ?

> So my question is: if the router sits behind the m0n0wall computer, should the m0n0wall PC have
two NICS so it can do its "magic" while transferring the internet traffic to the cable modem?

yes... (2) nic's as a minimum.

M0n0wall effectively is a firewall and a router AND a whole lot more.
If your linksys is just a router with a built-in 4 port switch, you
could do away with it...but you would still need a switch behind it
for the LAN.

> If this is the case, do I need to do something special to get the traffic to go through the
m0n0wall?

This would depend on the VOIP "black box" your VOIP provider ships
you. How do you intend to use VOIP ?