[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Melvin <melvin at sleepydragon dot net>
 To:  francois dot parent at us dot tel dot com
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Hardware set up question for m0n0wall standard PC configuration
 Date:  Thu, 11 Aug 2005 18:02:02 -0400
No apology needed, I just wanted to make sure I'm not give you bad
information based on a poor underestanding of your environment.
Technically, yes, it will in fact work the way you've indicated.
Personally however, I would replace the router with the m0n0wall since
you no longer need it.  If in fact you need the switch portion, I would
simply buy a switch and sell the router to someone else.  You'll likely
get more than enough to pay for the switch.  You could however  use the
4 port switch portion of the router.  Just hook m0n0 to the lan side and
leave the wan side unused.

francois dot parent at us dot tel dot com wrote:

>First let me apologize for my ignorance.
>
>I have a linksys router with 1 wan port and 4 lan ports. So my question is: if the router sits
behind the m0n0wall computer, should the m0n0wall PC have two NICS so it can do its "magic" while
transferring the internet traffic to the cable modem? If this is the case, do I need to do something
special to get the traffic to go through the m0n0wall?

>Regards,
>Francois

cable modem and the other to the router. Correct?

>>Regards,
>>Francois

way to shape internet traffic in order to give priority to his VOIP. He wrote that m0n0wall was the
solution he was looking for.

>>>So I have been reading about m0n0wall but so far I have not been successful in finding what kind
of hardware set up I will require. I intend to install m0n0wall on a standard PC. My home setup is:
cable modem -> router -> VOIP device. Where do I insert the m0n0wall computer?