[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Seth Martin" <SethM at turbinegenerator dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Died after 4 days
 Date:  Fri, 12 Aug 2005 16:27:45 -0400
I put up the beta firmware on a second soekris (we have 2 for testing
new firmwares) and linked them and pounded some data and random other
scripts through it for a weekend, pushing through it about 10x the load
we actually average, and after the weekend was over it was running as
smoothly as when it booted.  That Monday I put it into production and
setup up my network monitoring system to page me if it went down, with
my 1.11 still setup and ready to rock in case of emergency.  I was using
it in production at a branch office though that I was working out of for
the week so I was within 5 minute drive and usually sitting by it 9
hours a day.  I usually am more cautious but I wanted to utilize the
Open VPN functionality because we had a project going on in Chile and
the internet connections down there had trouble working over PPTP.
Cheaper to waste 3 minutes swapping back in the old 4801 with the 1.11
FW than to have 8 guys getting paid over seas rates and not being able
to get the info they need.