[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Died after 4 days
 Date:  Fri, 12 Aug 2005 10:16:32 -0400
On 8/12/05, Jeroen Visser <monowall at forty dash two dot nl> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 10:02:33 -0400, Dan Morin wrote
>
> > I do not think the two events are related (panic error and crashing)
>
> I think they are related, it sounds verymuch like a memory problem.

I agree they're related, and it sounds like a flaky hardware issue of
some sort, maybe not memory but that's a good place to start.

> If you can boot from a floppy or something, try http://www.memtest86.com/

memtest is on bootable CD freely available from
http://ultimatebootcd.com.  But if you can't afford downtime, that's
not going to help.  That'll take...well, varies greatly depending on
the amount of memory and speed of the machine, but anywhere from 15
minutes to a couple hours or more.

-Chris