[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Captive Portal questions
 Date:  Sat, 13 Aug 2005 13:35:26 -0400
On 8/12/05, John Benjamin <john at thebenjs dot com> wrote:
> After configuring captive portal on v1.11 (soekris 4511) I wanted to get
> some feedback from others on these questions I have.  Thanks very much! John
>

> 1) I found that had to add explicit ip address(es) for DNS servers in the IP
> Pass-through of Captive Portal for success.  Is this the expected
> configuration?  If it is the proper config, then it means that the http
> request has to be resolved first for the captive portal page to load, and I
> don't really understand why this is the case.  Can anyone explain this to
> me?

If you're using DNS servers other than m0n0wall itself, then yes, that
is the expected behavior.  The typical configuration is to use
m0n0wall's DNS forwarder on the interface you're using captive portal.

> 2) When I assigned a Static IP to the WAN port (a /24, fwiw) I had only
> intermittent success with captive portal working.  I believe that this is
> directly related to the DNS question above because when I change the WAN
> config to DHCP it works.

My first guess is when you're using DHCP, you're getting DNS servers
on m0n0wall from the DHCP server, and when you switch to static IP,
you didn't enter DNS servers in the general page.  If m0n0wall doesn't
have DNS servers, its DNS forwarder can't work.

> 3) From my searching of previous posts I understand that adding images to
> the captive portal splash page requires an external server.  Is there
> nowhere in the local file system to add the 1kb graphic I want on the splash
> page?

Not without creating a custom image.  The filesystem runs from RAM and
is hence lost at every reboot, so simply copying an image won't work
(perpetually at least).  If you have a FreeBSD box handy, workon.sh
makes it easy to edit an image.  You can get it from
http://chrisbuechler.com/m0n0wall/downloads/

-Chris