[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Hardware set up question for m0n0wall standard PC configuration
 Date:  Fri, 12 Aug 2005 09:40:25 -0500
francois dot parent at us dot tel dot com wrote:
> The linksys is simply a router with 1 wan port and 4 lan ports. The
> Vonage unit is a Cisco 186 device (1 lan port, 1 phone port). This
> unit is currently attached to one of the lan port of the linksys
> router.
>
> I finally understand that m0n0 will replace my router and that I need
> a switch behind it. The setup will be something like this:
>
> Cable modem -> m0n0 -> switch -> Cisco 186 -> phone line
>
> I want to use m0n0 to give a higher priority to the VoIP packets.
> Someone has suggested to research the VoIP threads on m0n0 and I'll
> do that.

This is the configuration I have used for over a year now (I run v1.11
on a Soekris 4501). No problems, until I tried to use traffic shaper.
This caused more voice quality issues than it solved. I don't know if
more powerful HW for the m0n0wall would help or not.

Good luck with shapping.

James W. McKeand