[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] NAT bug - reaching LAN AP from internet
 Date:  Mon, 15 Aug 2005 20:45:47 -0400
On 8/15/05, Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com> wrote:

> > Hi, jsut arrive to home and first think was to check gateways of AP.
> > Ovislink has 100.1 gateway (so same ip as mono is)
> > My second AP is Senao and there is no possibility to set gateway. (all what
> > can i do is set ip address of, AP, than turn on ACL..)
> > My third AP ovis, has also gateway 100.1
> >

> Alright, the ones that don't support a gateway can't be accessed
> outside their own subnet, so inbound NAT to them won't work.

for the sake of the archives...  (I've been working with the original
poster off-list)

Nothing wrong with his NAT configuration or firewall rules.  Even the
AP's with gateway entries appear to be ignoring them.  m0n0wall is
passing the traffic, it just never gets answered by the AP.  Any other
host works just fine.

From my own experience, and what I've seen from lurking on other
lists, access points many times don't allow entry of subnet masks
and/or default gateways.  This means you'll never be able to access
the administration interface from any network other than one local to
the AP.  Of the ones that do allow gateways, they seem to be
inconsistent at best in their functioning, from what I gather from
many past list posts to other lists.

If anybody runs into a similar situation, I'd first recommend making
sure the firmware on the AP is the most recent version, and checking
with the AP vendor if it still can't communicate with things off of
its own subnet.

-Chris