[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] NAT bug - reaching LAN AP from internet
 Date:  Mon, 15 Aug 2005 20:40:49 -0500
Chris Buechler wrote:
> From my own experience, and what I've seen from lurking on other
> lists, access points many times don't allow entry of subnet masks
> and/or default gateways.  This means you'll never be able to access
> the administration interface from any network other than one local to
> the AP.  Of the ones that do allow gateways, they seem to be
> inconsistent at best in their functioning, from what I gather from
> many past list posts to other lists.

Logically, this makes good sense. Do you really want the administration
interface open to the world? If you want/need to manage the APs
remotely, just use your favorite flavor of remote control (original
poster said VNC was working...) to control a "Management PC" on the
subnet.

In a consulting firm I used to work for, my peers on the Novell side of
the house insisted on have a "Management PC" at each of the sites they
managed and the firm charged a premium for the remote management
service...

James W. McKeand