[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Upgrading... the basics??
 Date:  Wed, 17 Aug 2005 08:41:00 -0500
Stephen Ronan wrote:
> Hi
> I'm running 1.2b7 off a CD and floppy and hoping to upgrade to 1.2b9.
> There are likely to be maybe a few dozen users on a WiFi network at
> the time with IP addresses obtained through DHCP.
> To upgrade, do I just go to "Reboot System", select "Yes" to reboot
>  and then quickly swap the new CD in for the old one, or what would
>    be the recommended method? Is there anything I can do to minimize
> disruption to users at the time (who can't be easily notified ahead
> of time... there's no captive portal in use and they're fairly
> dispersed) like maybe set a very short lease time for a while prior
> to rebooting? Thanks, - Steve

I would replace the CD then reboot. You can replace the CD at anytime,
it is only read during boot.

There is not an easy to minimize disruption during the reboot - while
the system is rebooting they will not be able to access the net... Watch
your activity levels and pick a time when activity is low - send an
email to your users a couple of days in advance, notifying of a planned
outage. And let the bits fall where they lay...

Shortening the DHCP leases will only increase network traffic. You would
have to wait for all the existing leases to expire. Obviously, you will
lose the non-reserved DHCP leases on reboot. But, the clients will
request the same IP when their leases expire (or at half-way point).

James W. McKeand