[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  <Kamil dot Wencel at hvbpensionsfonds dot de>
 To:  <sonicsai at gmail dot com>, <kudzu at tenebras dot com>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  AW: [m0n0wall] Re: m0n0wall / span port
 Date:  Thu, 18 Aug 2005 09:37:36 +0200
imagine a tap like a vampire, putting his teeth into the stream to suck it out.
by the way , if you don't want to setup ( or even worse buy ) a switch to span out
the traffic use a 10$ 3-5port hub instead. You may have some collisions on the way
but it never caused any real problems or performance disadvantages.
And I strongly recommend to use read-only network cables. You can't buy these
so google for "IDS Read Only Cable" and sooner or later you'll find what I mean.
I gives your IDS a much better security combined with an interface without any IP
listening in promiscous mode.