[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Can't access my briding adsl modem
 Date:  Thu, 18 Aug 2005 11:47:16 -0400
On 8/18/05, Peter Allgeyer <allgeyer at web dot de> wrote:
> Hi Daniel!
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 18.08.2005, 12:47 +0200 schrieb Daniel Heise:
> > SoI should return to my old DynDnsUpdate-Tool!
> Don't think so. I'm searching for a better way than that I've told you
> before. There are too many problems with my first solution so I call it
> a really crude one.

any way to do this is really crude, when it comes down to it.  I
emailed Manuel after creating the original version of that wiki doc,
and his comment was "that's exactly how I would do it".  That original
doesn't work for PPPoE clients though.

> It would be much better to have the outside
> interface twice. One for PPPoE or PPTP and the other one for the
> transfer net to the DSL modem. Compared to a solution w/o PPPoE or PPTP
> we must have to assign IP address to two real interfaces and can't just
> add an alias to an existing one. Because m0n0wall can't assign a
> physical interface once more, you'll have to do this step manually.

Maybe assigning a spare interface the same subnet as the DSL modem and
plugging it into the WAN side would be a clean solution.  Sometimes
things get weird when two interfaces are plugged into the same
broadcast domain, but in this case I don't know if it'd be an issue.

-Chris