[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Broadcom Clients
 Date:  Thu, 18 Aug 2005 12:22:35 -0400
On 8/18/05, Ben Z <b underscore zarboni at rogers dot com> wrote:
> Hi all;
>
> Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this behaviour: I have been using m0n0wall 1.11 as an AP
with Captive Portal. Recently, I had a few complaints from people who have integrated wireless in
their laptops (namely newer Acer and Dell laptops, and a PDA client) all of which are Broadcom-based
and the laptops are Windows XP SP2 with the latest drivers.

Yeah, I had a Dell Inspiron (8000, IIRC, a P4 3.0 with hyperthreading)
with a Dell 1450 card in it that would never associate, and have seen
other wireless NIC's with Broadcom chips that just won't associate.
Sometimes turning off power saving mode helps, sometimes it doesn't.

It's attributable to bugs in hostap in FreeBSD 4.11, and I'm not aware
of any work around.  It's been discussed in the past.  5.3 based beta
versions didn't have as many problems with hostap but still had some
issues (and had loads of issues in things other than hostap).

FreeBSD 6 is currently "where it's at" for wireless stuff.

-Chris