[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Steve Yates <steve at teamITS dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Bridging, firewall - m0n0wall confused over IPs?
 Date:  Thu, 18 Aug 2005 15:25:35 -0500
1) I have set up a three-NIC PC using the CD-ROM boot of m0n0wall 1.1.
The NICs are configured like so:

LAN	192.168.1.2
WAN	10.0.0.7
OPT1	(bridged to WAN, and bridged filtering is enabled)

The gateway for WAN is 10.0.0.1, a router to our public Internet
connection.  The system log shows entries like:

/kernel: arp: {MAC address of OPT1} is using my IP address 192.168.1.2

However this entry appears regardless of the address or subnet to which
I set the LAN interface.  LAN and OPT1 are connected to the same
switch...shouldn't m0n0 be smart enough to look at the MAC address of
the interface and realize it is different?

2) The firewall logs show that all outbound traffic arriving on OPT1 is
blocked by the firewall but I can't figure out why.  I have specifically allowed
outbound traffic from network 10.0.0.0/24 to any destination, and
inbound traffic from any source to network 10.0.0.0/24, on both the WAN
and OPT1 interfaces.  (using "OPT1" as the source/dest did not work
either).  From 10.0.0.2 (OPT1) pinging 10.0.0.1 results in a blocked
packet.  The "IF" in the log shows "OPT1."

Thanks,

 - Steve Yates
 - ITS, Inc.
 - The best way to remember your wife's birthday is to forget it once.

~ Taglines by Taglinator 4 - www.srtware.com ~