[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Quark IT - Hilton Travis" <Hilton at quarkit dot com dot au>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Asterisk behind DMZ w/ traffic shaper
 Date:  Fri, 19 Aug 2005 10:27:31 +1000
Hi,

There still seems to be a great deal of confusion over the Traffic
Shaper in m0n0wall - and I include myself in that group.  This is a
shame as this is one of the really great features about m0n0wall.

We're seriously considering implementing an Asterisk server ahere at our
office to enable us to utilize various VOIP services (including some SIP
providers) and would **really** like to get a functional Traffic Shaper
running to ensure that our VOIP traffic gets the priority it needs.
Unfortunately, there is no information in the docbook manual about the
Traffic Shaper.  :(

I've noticed a number of questions from Asterisk and SIP VOIP users
about how to configure the Traffic Shaper in m0n0wall to allow their
VOIP to function optimally.  Unfortunately, the answers seem to be rare
and not (that I've seen) complete.

Is there anyone out there who has a m0n0wall Traffic Shaper ruleset for
VOIP usage?  If there's no-one updating the manual with this information
then I am willing to take this on, even though we don't use VOIP here
ourselves yet, and I'll keep updating this section as we start to play
ourselves.

--

Regards,

Hilton Travis                          Phone: +61 (0)7 3344 3889