[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Can't get Inbound Server NAT to work.
 Date:  Fri, 19 Aug 2005 08:33:03 -0500
Devin Gleeson wrote:
> Yes, I have tried using the external address on a separate private
> network and on my ISP-assigned subnet on the internet. Nothing seems
> to work.
>
> Except when I added the rule to allow ICMP, then I could ping mono,
> but not any server NATs.

Unless you have a rule that allows ICMP you will not be able to ping
anything.

Here are some things to check:
1) You added public/external IPs to Server NAT (do not but WAN IP)
2) You added public/external IPs to Proxy ARP - may or may not be needed
(do not put WAN IP)
3) You added Inbound NAT rules that use these public/external IPs for
specific services (such as SMTP)
4) You allowed the auto-creation of the firewall rule or created the
firewall rule by hand
5) ***FROM A REMOTE LOCATION*** test connections to the specific service
(such as telnet to port 25 on a public IP)

Depending of the length of the TTL on your ISPs ARP Cache you may see a
delay in the Server NATs working. Patience is a virtue...

James W. McKeand