[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  edward mzj <edward dot mzj at gmail dot com>
 To:  Cameron Showalter <cameron at gwschool dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Good NIC?
 Date:  Sat, 20 Aug 2005 02:09:32 +0800
fxp(intel pro100 family) is known to be the best working FE nic in the
freebsd world. and there is little difference between the desktop
version and server version in freebsd world 'cause fxp driver cannot
support the extended features in intel's server nics like adapter
teaming

xl(3Com 3C900/905 and their successor, 3c920) is also good one, but
not as good as fxp. the biggest problem, compared to fxp, is it cannot
work in polling mode. and there are a few bugs in chipset, tcp tx
checksum offloading for example.

rl(8129/8139 series) may be the cheapest nics in the market. but as
the aurthor of the rl driver metioned in the source code, the 8139
chipests re-defines the meaning of low end. so don't expect it to be
very fast, especially the rx performance, in my experience. dont touch
it if you have other choices.

and vr(dlink 530tx), you may often see watch dog timeout error message
which means the nic fail to respond for a few while and the driver has
to reset it to bring it back to life. keep away from it if possible.