[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Alex Neuman van der Hans" <alex at nkpanama dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Good NIC?
 Date:  Fri, 19 Aug 2005 13:33:02 -0500
You'd probably have to be serving hundreds of users ... Your cards cost 4?, mine cost even less ($4)
and work fine in the less-than-50-users-at-a-time environments I've had to work with so far. I've
built m0n0/pfsense boxes with 10mbps cards that work fine (since the ADSL/Cable/whatever connection
is usually less than 2mbps and the WiFi APs are set to 2Mbps to increase distance/coverage) on
machines that otherwise would be unused (old AMDK6-2's with 64MB RAM, like the one protecting the
network I'm connected to right now).

Usually when I have a site with more than 50 people using one device for
firewall/email/web/whatever, the machine is expensive enough to have come with at least one built-in
intel NIC or similar.