[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah at acm dot org>
 To:  Bj?rn P?lsson <bjorn at networksab dot com>
 Cc:  Pascal Watteel <pascal dot watteel at ces dot be>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Vlan tagging
 Date:  Mon, 29 Dec 2003 09:45:52 -0800
[Please don't top-post...I've fixed this up for you.]

If memory serves me right, Bj?rn P?lsson wrote:

> At 12:17 2003-12-29 +0100, you wrote:
> >Is it possible already to do Vlan tagging on a monowall firewall.
> >
> >I'm using a astaro box for the moment but would like to replace it with
> >a monowall on a soekris box.
> >
> >But at the moment we use vlan tagging on the firewall to a cisco switch.
> >
> >So we have multiple virtual interfaces on the lan as gataways in each
> >vlan.
> >
> >Someone doing this on a monowall..
> >
> >Or can we expect this feature???

> Adding a virtual interface is not a hard task if you know where to insert
> the code. I have this on my box but it only allows one alias on the lan
> interface. Adding a system with web-GUI addable multiple virtual interfaces
> is tought and requires a lot of hacking. What would be better is to have a
> feature like the rc.local where you can simply toss in the ifconfig command:
>
> ifconfig sis0 alias 10.0.0.1/24
> ifconfig sis0 alias 10.0.0.2/24

A VLAN is not the same as having multiple addresses per interface.

On FreeBSD, VLAN interfaces take the names vlan*, and otherwise appear
as "normal" network interfaces.  m0n0wall doesn't support these at the
current time...I have the feeling that doing this would be non-trivial.

Bruce.