[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  "Justin Albstmeijer" <justin at VLAMea dot nl>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall + net4501 keeps rebooting
 Date:  Mon, 29 Dec 2003 20:47:08 +0100
On 29.12.2003, at 12:49, Justin Albstmeijer wrote:

> Tried a 18V/3.5A power supply.. still the same reboot problem.

OK, you got me worried - I did some testing with a net4511, and sure
enough, I was able to kill it with a single TCP connection at maximum
speed (which turned out to be about 16 Mbps) after only 25 seconds. It
just reset, no kernel panic, no messages, no nothing. Scary! I tried
with BIOS versions 1.15a and 1.22 - no difference (as expected).

I still do not believe that this is a m0n0wall problem (and hence needs
to be fixed by me) at all, though. Here's why:

I did the very same experiment with a net4801 and a PC Engines WRAP
board. I was unable to get them to reset even after 10 minutes. I also
tried hitting them hard with a 90 Mbps UDP stream for five minutes
each. No reset. The net4801 actually passed 57 Mbps, while the WRAP did
about 66 Mbps. Funny because the WRAP board I have has a 233 MHz CPU
while the net4801 has a 266 MHz one, but that's got nothing to do with
this problem.

Now, using polling mode seems to circumvent this problem, so I quickly
whipped together a net45xx image with a kernel that supports polling
(with HZ=1000, and a call in rc.bootup to enable it):

http://m0n0.ch/wall/downloads/net45xx-pb22r566-POLLING.img

Not sure if it helps those with wireless cards though (the wi driver
doesn't support polling).

- Manuel