[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Christiaens Joachim <jchristi at oce dot be>
 To:  "'Mitch (WebCob)'" <mitch at webcob dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] windows built in "ident"...
 Date:  Tue, 30 Dec 2003 10:28:30 +0100

These are soft-firewalls that have more then network-access to the client
machine, so they can determine by some api what executable can be linked to
what connection(-attempt)
Not shure what you mean by Linksys implementation here...?

> can detect a bogus HTTP request generated by a
> program OTHER THAN Internet Explorer (like by a virus or a
> messenger program
> trying to circumvent the firewall) and shut them down...

Or the executable is detected (local machine) OR the HTTP-request is somehow
different then one coming from iexplore/browser. If there is a protocol that
shows the app, it can be faked!

I think it can't be done in a firewall appliance...

Regards
Joachim

MISSION STATEMENT

DISCLAIMER