[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Fabrizio Fioravanti" <fabrizio dot fioravanti at finsystem dot net>
 To:  "'Manuel Kasper'" <mk at neon1 dot net>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  R: [m0n0wall] Net45xx image without watchdog
 Date:  Tue, 30 Dec 2003 18:00:24 +0100
> It obviously is enough to kill watchdogd (although I'll
> probably remove support for it from the kernel as well)
> unless your hardware is somehow broken and the watchdog
> cannot be disabled once it has been enabled (works fine for
> me though), and as I said, the next release will have
> watchdogd removed. Period.
>
> - Manuel

Hi Manuel,

I do not agree with you since when I kill the watchdog process the net4511
reboot automatically in a few seconds.
It can be broken ... but what watchdogd does is simply to reset an hardware
counter, and then when the deamon is not present the counter is not reset
and ... Reboot; as happens to me.

The port description of watchdogd say exactly what I have asserted, but
maybe I'm wrong in something, but look:

------------ from FreeBSD Watchdog port -----------
Watchdog daemon for the AMD Elan sc520 system-on-chip.

The watchdogd deamon runs in the background and will reset the hardware
watchdog timer of the elan-mmcr/soekris every 16 seconds. If this timer
is not reset within 32 seconds thereafter the hardware will reboot.

Let me know what do you think about.

- Fabrizio