[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  "Fabrizio Fioravanti" <fabrizio dot fioravanti at finsystem dot net>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] R: [m0n0wall] Net45xx image without watchdog
 Date:  Tue, 30 Dec 2003 18:23:39 +0100
On 30.12.2003, at 18:00, Fabrizio Fioravanti wrote:

> I do not agree with you since when I kill the watchdog process the
> net4511
> reboot automatically in a few seconds.
> It can be broken ... but what watchdogd does is simply to reset an
> hardware
> counter, and then when the deamon is not present the counter is not
> reset
> and ... Reboot; as happens to me.

Look at the source code before making false claims, please. When you
"kill" watchdogd by sending it a SIGTERM (which is what happens when
you just use "kill <pid>" as suggested), then it will get a chance to
disable the watchdog:

Dec 30 18:19:25 /usr/local/sbin/watchdogd: Watchdog disabled

...and the box will keep running. Q.E.D.

- Manuel