[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Jan Bakke" <jan dot bakke at systec dot no>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Routing
 Date:  Tue, 23 Dec 2003 09:21:25 +0100
I have a little problem regarding routing in monowall, well not reely a problem, there is a way
around it.

       ------------          ----              ----
------| Default GW |--------| M1 |--[tunnel]--| M2 |----------
       ------------          ----              ----
World               CorpNet                         CorpSubNet

I am aware that the 'normal' way to use M0n0wall is between network and world, and use default
gateway on the WAN interface.

In this situation I want to use M0n0wall to protect my CorpSubNet behind M2 via an encrypted link
(wireless), and let this network have access to the world.

It is not possible to select a 0.0.0.0/0 route on the LAN interface, only at the WAN interface
(gateway).
The way around is to use the IP-address on my Default GW as gateway address on the M1 WAN interface.
Routing to my CorpSubNet bust be defined as a static route pointing to the M2 WAN interface.

The command netstat -nr in exec.php will show the result and tell me that the default route is
pointing to the LAN interface on M1.

Jan / Systec