[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirkx at webweaving dot org>
 To:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Net45xx image without watchdog
 Date:  Tue, 30 Dec 2003 10:57:44 -0800 (PST)
> Anyway, I've had enough of this watchdog thing - it seems to cause
> problems for some m0n0wall users that like to push their boxes at
> maximum throughput for more than a few seconds, there's no clean
> solution (yet), etc.

First I hear of that - and would be interested in digging into it. Any
pointers to a description ?

I've used it both in wirelessleiden.nl and in commercial project and not
observed this; nor with 100Mbit ether or WiFi. Are we sure this is not an
artifact of polling mode and a HZ setting introduced at the same time ?

> My solution is to remove it from m0n0wall, and that's what I'm going to
> do.

No trouble. Whichever is easiest; though given the way this code works and
given the way the HW of the Elan works - I seriously do dount that the
watchdog is the cause - perhaps more a sympthom; a few cycles userland
with just a sysctl()  and a dud syslog() every 15 seconds (in a sleep()
from libc) - and kernel side just some bit toggingling is not a likely
suspect. Unless syslog() is seriously borked.

Dw.