[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chad R. Larson" <clarson at eldocomp dot com>
 To:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>, Justin Albstmeijer <justin at VLAMea dot nl>
 Cc:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall + net4501 keeps rebooting
 Date:  Tue, 30 Dec 2003 13:42:15 -0700
At 01:21 PM 12/29/2003, Manuel Kasper wrote:
>It makes perfect sense to me now: at 100.0% CPU load (mostly interrupts),
>that poor watchdogd process starves and doesn't get to tickle the watchdog
>again. After about 30 seconds, the watchdog timer fires, the CPU is reset
>- bingo.

You could prove that by having the watchdog process syslog a message before
rebooting.

It =does= make sense.  That would be why polling helped--it stopped the
interrupt storm.

But I'd prefer the watchdog be left in.  It guarantees that userland
processes are getting some time to run, which is its whole point.

Actually, at some level, trying to pump tens of megabits through a net45xx
is an academic effort anyway.  As I've pointed out, it's way faster than a
T1 even when running a VPN or two in software.  If you =really= need more
than that, buy a net48xx.  Or build a box around an Athlon motherboard.

         -crl
   Eldorado Computing, Inc.   602-604-3100
      5353 North 16th Street, Suite 400
        Phoenix, Arizona   85016-3228