[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chad R. Larson" <clarson at eldocomp dot com>
 To:  Fabrizio Fioravanti <fabrizio dot fioravanti at finsystem dot net>, "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Net45xx image without watchdog
 Date:  Tue, 30 Dec 2003 14:36:01 -0700
At 07:58 AM 12/30/2003, Fabrizio Fioravanti wrote:
>Regarding the reboot problem, is it possible to have an image without
>watchdog for net45xx. At least the kernel is needed, since it is not
>obviously enough to kill the watchdogd process. I have found no sysctl to
>disable hardware watchdog and no possibility to exclude it from comBios.

It's not a sysctl, it is an ioctl against /dev/elan-mmrc.

If you kill watchdogd with a normal "kill", it will disable the timer
before exiting.  Just what you want.

When the watchdogd starts up, it enables the timer for a 32 second
interval, and then starts resetting it every 16 seconds.

If you "kill -9" the watchdog daemon (so it can't stop the timer before
exiting) your net45xx will reset in 15 to 30 seconds.

You won't find this in the 4.9-RELEASE documentation, it's backported from
5.1.  Check
   http://lists.soekris.com/pipermail/soekris-tech/2003-February/001959.html
and
   http://www.webweaving.org/watchdog/