[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Aaron <lists at mycommunitynet dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Asterisk behind DMZ w/ traffic shaper
 Date:  Sun, 21 Aug 2005 18:27:58 -0700
On Aug 21, 2005, at 4:50 PM, Chris Bagnall wrote:
> As a general rule, even with BitTorrent running full whack I can make
> quite
> acceptable IAX/g729 calls. The key (at least, I found) to an effective
> traffic shaper config is getting your upstream bandwidth pipe size
> perfect.
> Use an online speed test utility to find out exactly what throughput
> you're
> getting - do *not* use the figure your ISP tells you you're getting.

I have found this to be the case too and actually had to give a lower
figure to the magic shaper than what I actually was getting. With a
3000/768 line, I get around 600 upstream. I found that I had to lower
the figure that I gave the Magic Shaper to around 430 in order to make
it work well. I'm not sure if it was a limitation of the DSL, but when
saturating the line at 600, ping times (and hence delay) would go up
quite a bit.

To test quality, I would make a call to a landline and listen to spoken
voice (the phone was put on a speaker) while uploading from at least 1
computer. Listening to a call, you could tell that it was being
degraded. By lowering the upstream bandwidth to 430 in the magic
shaper, ping times would stay much more consistent and calls were much
better when doing heavy uploading.

- Aaron