[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Bagnall" <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc>
 To:  "'Quark IT - Hilton Travis'" <Hilton at quarkit dot com dot au>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Asterisk behind DMZ w/ traffic shaper
 Date:  Mon, 22 Aug 2005 02:35:56 +0100
Hilton,

> By "cleared up" I hope you don't mean "totally removed" as
> these will probably be handy to see as well, if they are
> manual rules, not Magic Shaper ones.  These rules obviously
> interact with the VOIP rules to provide the solution that you
> have implemented.

Actually, the copy of the rules I posted to the list includes my P2P rules
from home. I generally don't use them at client sites (they're offices where
all PCs are configured by us and the software on them is monitored pretty
closely, so P2P isn't a problem). At home I don't want to stop P2P, I just
want to prevent it sucking up all my bandwidth.

> Do you implement a local Asterisk server at these client
> locations or do you connect only to an off-site Asterisk gateway?

At client sites we tend to deploy full asterisk servers. For smaller clients
it's quite useful to have a linux box on-site anyway (quite often the
asterisk server is the only one), since that can be used in a cron+rsync
setup for remote backups as well, and saves using some proprietary windows
software.

Generally the IP phones or softphones - usually a combination of both
communicate SIP with the local asterisk server. These are on the same subnet
so there are no horrible NAT issues to deal with (one of SIP's biggest
problem areas). We then configure an IAX <-> PSTN gateway from those boxes,
as well as linking them with asterisk in our own office for free calls
to/from our clients.

I see you added me to your Skype list - feel free to get in touch if you
want a hand or an explanation of the stuff I posted.

Regards,

Chris