[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Angus Jordan <angus dot jordan at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Feature request
 Date:  Mon, 22 Aug 2005 16:16:04 -0700
Hello all,

I have a m0n0wall firewall at a customers site which is in a regular tower
PC, and he wants to eliminate the use of a hard drive in preference of
running m0n0wall from the cdrom bootable image. In my opinion, this would be
fine except for the fact that the configuration is stored on floppy.

There are 2 issues I have with floppy drives. First, the are not reliable by
any stretch of the imagination. I have had floppies die on me for no
apparent reason other than over use. Second, speed in the GUI. I've been
fiddling with the cdrom image at home for a couple of weeks now, and the GUI
is soooo sloow when using the floppy.

In the past I have used routers that use a floppy to store a static copy of
the configuration on them. But, there was also a "running" copy of the
configuration stored in memory. This way, when you were sure that the
configuration that was running in memory was working for your needs you
could just click "Save configuration to disk, " and it would write it to the
floppy. Would it be possible to add this feature to m0n0wall?

I can see using a memory disk created using mdconfig, and then on bootup
copying the config file from the floppy to the memory disk and unmounting
the floppy. Then, all config changes are made in memory and a write to the
floppy would only be made when a button is clicked.

I hope this makes sense...

Let me know what you think...

Thank you,
Angus Jordan