[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Bostjan Hojkar" <bostjan dot hojkar at fov dot uni dash mb dot si>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Filtering bridge - packet loss
 Date:  Tue, 23 Aug 2005 13:18:07 +0200
Hi!

I'm trying to use filtering bridge on version 1.11.
WAN bridged with OPT1, WAN and OPT1 are IP-less.
3 Class-C public subnets are behind firewall.

Sometimes i notice packet loss like this:

2241 packets transmitted, 2196 received, 2% packet loss, time 1915ms
(ping through firewall)

Rules are allowing all ICMP through, and no traffic shaper is used.

Any idea, why i'm seeng packet loss? I tryed changing cables, and it doesn't
help, interface statistic shows 0 errors...

I'm always pinging same host (uplink router), but there are moments when
there is no packet loss, and again moments with 2-5% packet loss. CPU usage
is far from critical (0.07 0.0 0.0).

I have LAN and OPT1 on same switch, but different VLANs (configured on
switch).

Is it possible that sometimes i get hit by some blocked traffic, and
m0n0wall is logging connections, and while doing this, some packets don't go
through?

Thx for reading.

Regards, Bostjan

BTW - in documentation, filtering bridge, there is a suggestion to put a
public IP on WAN interface - you don't need that for filtering bridge, do
you?
Is it an error? Or it should be stated that you only need that, if you want
your m0n0wall to access internet (hence see the updates & stuff ).