[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Vince Van De Coevering <vpv at figaros dot com>
 Cc:  "'m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch'" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] OT: Question
 Date:  Tue, 23 Aug 2005 08:22:12 -0700
> I don't know of any easy setup/configuration distros for something
> like running a web server, but webmin might be a suitable GUI for you
> for Apache management.
>
> -Chris

The challenge with apache is that there are so many places where it can be
configured that its difficult to create one all encompassing configuration
GUI.  For example, there are several ways to allow access to the directory
that web pages are stored on.  One method is to create a .htaccess file.
That file is created and customized in each sub directory to apply custom
security settings for the contents.

Webmin does an adequate job for basic config but can really mess up a
complicated web environment.

Now if you are looking for a distro that's easy to set up and maintain (keep
Apache up to date) then I'd suggest freeBSD or Gentoo Linux.  The freeBSD
ports collection supports incremental upgrades and the Gentoo emerge tool
makes upgrades a snap.

Vince Van De Coevering
IT Manager
Figaro's Italian Pizza, Inc.