[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  <Kamil dot Wencel at hvbpensionsfonds dot de>
 To:  <ugob at camo dash route dot com>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  AW: [m0n0wall] Re: AW: multiheaded hydra
 Date:  Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:39:30 +0200
> So please, be patient until I can gather up some time to finish up.

 Very interesting.  That is nice that you found out a way.  We'll all
 anxious to hear how you got there.  Could you give us at least a few
 details?  Is your 2 wans load-balanced, failing-over?

it's neither actually. I have to peers. One providing a dedicated 2M
leased line ( CPE is a router ). I need this because it has a 2M uplink
which shall directly be fed by my webservers / mail / etc.
This is not a flatrate because currently that would be too expensive.

So I got myself a 4M DSL Flatrate ( but with weak uplink capability ( 512K ))
which shall be used by all internal boxes, for internet surfing, downloads
gentoo portage mirroring etc. Basically everything causing traffic but
not potentialy creating revenue is going through the ADSL line. All production
traffic ( HTTP / HTTPS and mail since most mailservers reject mails coming
from dial-up accounts like my DSL line ) is going through the 2M line.

It's not some fancy load balancing or failover concept. Don't have any illusions
about that. But using two heads is an effective way of saving money.

For real loadbalancinf and / or failover have a look at pfsense. There is a very
good and easy to understand howto regarding that very issue. I haven't tried
pfsense yet. Currently I stick to m0n0 and therefor use m0n0 means.

the docu is shaping up but not ready to get published.

--k