[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Seth Martin" <SethM at turbinegenerator dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Traffic Shaper Latency Take 2
 Date:  Wed, 24 Aug 2005 09:39:42 -0400
So I posted this before but I didn't get any replies that applied to my
scenario.

What we have is a T1, a true analog old fashioned 1.54meg T1. Its NOT
DSL, and we have no up or downstream caps, we get all 1.54megs to use in
any fashion we want.  (So please don't tell me I have a DSL connection
and that's my problem :-\ )  Originally I had wanted to traffic shape
the pipe into 2 pipes, 1 of about 200k that would be used for all the
users connecting to our terminal server at a data center our MW holds a
VPN to. The other would catch all other traffic.  When I set this up
with just 2 pipes, under a full load the system would increase latency
to 700-900ms and the Terminal server users would start to cry.  With
traffic shaper off their latency never goes over 80ms BUT when the pipe
gets maxed out their screens don't refresh fast enough because of the
bandwidth issues and they start to cry.  I have tried and tested things
with the traffic shaper, and with just two 500k pipes, one in and one
out, I get latency under full load in one direction, with 1 1000k pipe
for both directions I get latency.  I've tried adding queues to the
pipes and it doesn't make a difference.  Could this be a limitation of
the soekris 4801's processor, would installing it in a spare p4 system
with some intel nics fix the problem?  The trial and error testing is
starting to make me work a lot of overtime, need some suggestions here
from people that might have seen this before.  My suggestion has been
just to get a basic cable modem and put the TS users on it for their own
use but management all of the sudden shut their wallets and wants this
done for free.  Please please help lol...

Thanks

Seth Martin