[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Alex Neuman van der Hans <alex at nkpanama dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Ability to send an email from m0n0wall
 Date:  Wed, 24 Aug 2005 15:12:57 -0500
Chris Flugstad wrote:

> on a note on top of that,  maybe a email that would go out giving a
> status of the monowall.  I think the idea of the WAN IP changing is
> good, but thats just for people that want to basically use the
> MONOWALL like a static but not actually pay for a static ip address.
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Adam Gibson" <agibson at ptm dot com>

For that functionality you might also think about setting up a dynamic
dns account with one of the free DDNS providers, set up your m0n0wall to
use it even though it's not necessary, and have a bash or whatever
script running from cron on a full-fledged machine alert you when the IP
address changes. Most people on the list will probably agree that this
is a function more suited for IDS or monitoring systems, and not a
gateway device like a m0n0wall usually is.