[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Adam Gibson <agibson at ptm dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Ability to send an email from m0n0wall
 Date:  Wed, 24 Aug 2005 17:30:45 -0400
Alex Neuman van der Hans wrote:
--- CUT ---
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Adam Gibson" <agibson at ptm dot com>

--- CUT ---

> For that functionality you might also think about setting up a dynamic
> dns account with one of the free DDNS providers, set up your m0n0wall to
> use it even though it's not necessary, and have a bash or whatever
> script running from cron on a full-fledged machine alert you when the IP
> address changes.

I already have them setup to do RFC 2136 Dynamic DNS updates to a zone
so that part is already done.  I thought about monitoring them with a
script on a server and ruled that out at first but it does make more
sense to do it that way.  I would only have to configure this in one
place which makes more sense too.

Monitoring when an appliance reboots would not be very reliable though
without SNMP(wouldn't want to open that up).  I can live without that
notification though.  It is just sometimes nice to know when someone
turns on or reboots the system.