[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] What's the best to look for in CF to ide? Or ones to avoid?
 Date:  Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:06:34 -0400
On 8/25/05, David <dlawley at gmail dot com> wrote:
> ah heck, dang gmail, thought I was responding to the list.. sorry
> folks for the direct email anyway ...
>
> Just waking up and it came to me.. even before the first cup of coffee ;)
>
> It has to do with some boot and some don't.  Let see if I can find it
> again. But the info had to do with something about the internal makeup
> of the card, chipset I think..

I've only tried one adapter, and it was SFF IDE to CF (SFF IDE ==
laptop IDE).  It wasn't detected at all by the system, but this was
also a Nokia IP110 embedded IPSO box meant to have a hard drive so I
figured it probably had something weird hard coded in its BIOS.  Not
true though, somebody else with a different SFF IDE to CF adapter has
gotten one to boot and work fine.  So there is something it doesn't
like about the particular one I have, though I don't have a clue what
that might be.

One thing to keep in mind, you may need to set the access mode to CHS
in the BIOS, as described here for a different piece of hardware.
http://wiki.m0n0.ch/wikka.php?wakka=HacomBox

The embedded firewalls that offer both a hard drive and CF slot
onboard typically must have that changed for some reason, so you might
run into the same.

-Chris