[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Greg Sims" <greg at headingup dot net>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Pass Static WAN to a Second m0n0wall Across Wireless Network
 Date:  Thu, 25 Aug 2005 21:31:55 -0700
I need some help configuring this scenario.  I have four public addresses
from my ISP.  These four addresses are part of a class C network that is
shared by others -- bridged.  Let's say my addresses are 1.2.3.101 to
1.2.3.104 with a gateway address of 1.2.3.1 and a netmask of 255.255.255.0
(/24).  I have a m0n0wall router attached to a DSL Modem with WAN address
configured to 1.2.3.101.  This m0n0wall presents a LAN network of
10.0.0.0/24.

I would like to configure a second m0n0wall router behind the first one.
The WAN interface of this second router needs to be one of the public ip
addresses in my address range . say 1.2.3.102.

This would be easy if both of the m0n0walls were in the same location . just
attach the DSL Modem to a switch and drive the WAN Interfaces of both
m0n0walls from this switch. What makes this configuration interesting is the
LAN interface of the first m0n0wall is a long distance wireless network.
The second m0n0wall will be on the other side of this wireless network --- 5
miles from the first m0n0wall.

What technique can I use to configure the first m0n0wall and configure the
WAN of the second m0n0wall?  Static Routing, NAT 1:1, Server NAT, or ???
I've tried several configurations and find that I need a push in the right
direction.

Thanks in advance!!  Greg