[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Frederic Stark <f5428 at almonde dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Getting nuts with an ipsec routing problem
 Date:  Fri, 26 Aug 2005 14:36:28 +0200
Hi everybody,

As a picture is better than thousand words, here is the network I am
talking about (some ip renamed). See it with a non-proportional font:

+----+
| ha |
+--+-+
---+-----------------+------------------------ LANA = 192.168.0/24
                      | 192.168.0.253
                    +-+--+
           m0n0wall | ma |---IPsec--+
                    +----+          |
                       |            |
                      WAN           |

                      WAN           |
                       |            |
                    +----+          |
           m0n0wall | mb |---IPsec--+
                    +-+--+
----+----------------+--------------+----------- LANB = 10.80.48.0/20
     | 10.80.48.1                    | 10.80.48.99
   +-+--+                         +--+--+
   | hb |                         | gbc |
   +-+--+                         +--+--+

                ------+--------------+----------- LANC = 192.168.60.0/24
                      | 192.168.60.1
                    +-+--+
                    | hc |
                    +----+

ha = hosta = 192.168.0.1
hb = hostb = 10.80.48.1
hc = hostc = 192.168.60.1
ma = m0n0a = 192.168.0.253
mb = m0n0b = 10.80.48.253
gbc = gatewaybc = 10.80.48.99

What works:
ping: ha <-> hb
ping: hb <-> hc
   (after I added a static route on m0n0b: LAN,192.168.60/24,10.80.48.99)

What DONT work:
ping: ha -> hc

I am totally unable to ping from hosta to hostc, no matter what I try
(and I easily spent 8 hours on that). As far as I can tell, the m0n0a
seems to send the packet to the WAN instead of the IPSec link.

I don't understand how the stuff is supposed to work:
1/ ha have a packet for 192.168.60.1
2/ this is not a local address, so it sends it to default gw (m0n0a)
3/ m0n0a have NO idea about what to do with the packet, so it send it to
the WAN.

I seems obvious to me that m0n0a needs some sort of route to understand
how to handle packet for LANC. But I can't get it to have one that work
(/kernel: arplookup 10.80.50.99 failed: host is not on local network).
And due to the nature of IPsec (mainly the fact that there is no
associated interface), I don't know understand how/if it is supposed to
work.

Any help appreciated,

Thanks, in advance,

--fred