[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "John Bartlett" <john at unitedcomputer dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  disconnect on LAN side machines, must ipconfig /release && /renew to get to work again
 Date:  Fri, 26 Aug 2005 12:54:15 -0400
Here is the problem I am having.                      26Aug05

When I'm surfing a side with a lot of pictures I get connection problems
faster then idling/using IRC or AIM. Sites like Ebay. I get no disconnection
warning from the Physical network part, I still have an IP address, Subnet,
Gateway, DNS servers, but I can not connect to any other IPs on the network
or the internet. All the applications loose connection. Sometimes not all at
once, I can't web browser but AIM or IRC still work for a short time. The
only way to get connected again is, ipconfig /release && ipconfig /renew and
I am connected again.
I have also had this problem with my web server which is never used for
connecting to the internet other then updates, and the way to get that
connected is to reboot the router.

I have had this problem since I started using m0n0wall about 10 months ago.
I switched out some older hardware (133mhz I think w/ edo ram) for a 550
128mb ram thinking it might have been the old RAM was bad. It greatly helped
the problem but I still have the problem.

Hardware:
Earthlink Cable, (Brighthouse)
Gateway (brand)  for the router
550mhz (I think a p3)
128mb RAM
210mb HDD
4xNIC

LAN NIC goes into a 16 port Gigabit switch
SERVER NIC goes into webserver directly (cross over)
SHELLS NIC not in use atm
WAN NIC goes into cable modem

Software:
LAN XP/win2k3 server
SERVER win2k3 server

m0n0wall 1.11
built on Thu Nov 11 23:02:41 CET 2004

Interfaces:

WAN interface
Statusup
MAC address00:50:fc:9c:f7:03
IP address24.110.56.93
Subnet mask255.255.254.0
Gateway24.110.56.1
Media100baseTX <full-duplex>
In/out packets28802425/1377499 (2.78 GB/356.26 MB)
In/out errors0/0
Collisions0

LAN interface
Statusup
MAC address00:20:78:0e:06:c2
IP address10.1.0.0
Subnet mask255.255.255.240
Media100baseTX <full-duplex>
In/out packets1266085/1508543 (203.24 MB/1.19 GB)
In/out errors0/0
Collisions0

Servers interface
Statusup
MAC address00:50:fc:9c:d7:dd
IP address10.2.0.0
Subnet mask255.255.255.248
Media100baseTX <full-duplex>
In/out packets139837/99999 (160.22 MB/16.96 MB)
In/out errors0/0
Collisions0

Shells interface
Statusdown