[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] disconnect on LAN side machines, must ipconfig /release && /renew to get to work again
 Date:  Fri, 26 Aug 2005 13:26:27 -0400
On 8/26/05, John Bartlett <john at unitedcomputer dot com> wrote:

> Here is the problem I am having.                      26Aug05
>
> When I'm surfing a side with a lot of pictures I get connection problems
> faster then idling/using IRC or AIM. Sites like Ebay. I get no disconnection
> warning from the Physical network part, I still have an IP address, Subnet,
> Gateway, DNS servers, but I can not connect to any other IPs on the network
> or the internet.

If you're losing connections to your LAN and the Internet, and still
have an IP, this has to be an issue with your machine or LAN unrelated
to m0n0wall.  LAN traffic has nothing to do with your firewall.

> All the applications loose connection. Sometimes not all at
> once, I can't web browser but AIM or IRC still work for a short time.

this part sounds like state table exhaustion.  Are you using anything
that could legitimately require more than 4,000 states?  Upgrading to
1.2b9 could test that theory, as its state table is 30,000.  And don't
worry about it being "beta", it's at least as stable if not moreso
than 1.11.

> I have also had this problem with my web server which is never used for
> connecting to the internet other then updates, and the way to get that
> connected is to reboot the router.

again, sounds like a state issue.

The most common cause of exhausting the state table is a worm infected
or hacked Windows box spewing out Internet traffic at a high rate.
I'd check "ipnat -lv" output in status.php in your m0n0wall at the
time you start losing some connections and see what you currently have
active.  If you have a lot of legit traffic, you probably just need a
bigger state table and should upgrade to 1.2b9.

-Chris