[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] IPsec speed
 Date:  Sat, 27 Aug 2005 17:43:43 -0400
On 8/27/05, Jonathan De Graeve <Jonathan dot De dot Graeve at imelda dot be> wrote:
> Remember that if you use a VPN on a slow connection, the connection will
> work slower then it already was because the overhead of the VPN
> protocol.

yeah, and an encryption card isn't going to help speed a bit in this
case.  RDP doesn't take *that* much bandwidth, even the slowest
m0n0wall would push that much through in an amount of time that
wouldn't be noticable to a person (vs. doing it straight over the
Internet, we're talking about a difference of a millisecond *maybe*).

If the end with the RDP server (whether it's really a "server" or not)
is an asynchronous connection, a slow uplink would make RDP slow and
there isn't anything you can do about it other than getting a faster
connection.

If you provide more details on Internet connections, m0n0wall specs,
etc. maybe we can give you a better idea of why it's slow.

-Chris