[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Robert <robertedstrom at yahoo dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Getting m0n0wall up and running.
 Date:  Sat, 27 Aug 2005 22:52:32 -0700 (PDT)
Hi.  I am trying to get m0n0wall functioning but I am
running into some problems.  I would like to purchase
an embedded device from Soekris or PC Engines, but I
can't seem to get it running on 3 of my pcs.

I followed the instructions in the quick start guide.
The first machine that I used was an older Compaq
deskpro 6000 with 96MB of ram and two network
interfaces.  An embedded tlan interface and a tulip
pci interface.  I used a gentoo live cd and installed
m0n0wall onto the hard disk as instructed in the quick
start guide.  The image was on an NFS server.  I
rebooted the system and the m0n0wall console came up.
I selected my lan and wan interfaces, set up the ip
addresses and was able to access the webgui from
another machine on the network.  I disabled dhcp
because there is already a machine performing that
function.

Long story short, I performed basic configuration such
as time server, setting the hostname and additionally
disabling the console.  I rebooted from the webgui and
was unable to access it ever since.  I was not able to
ping the lan interface of the box after it rebooted.
I then regret disabling the console and then
reinstalled m0n0wall.  I went through the installation
in the exact same way and set up the lan and wan
interfaces, but I am not able to access the webgui or
even ping the lan interface from the network.
Currently only the lan interface is in use and the wan
side has no cable plugged in.

m0n0wall displays the mac addresses of both interfaces
on the box and I made the appropriate selection while
configuring the interfaces.  I am completely clueless
why I am not able to access the webgui or even ping
it.  The exact same thing happened on 2 other boxes,
but the difference is that those boxes only had 1
network interface.  Both 3c59x cards.

I even downloaded 1.2b9 and had the same results.
Link lights on, but no activity.  The ping function on
1.2b9 failed with 100% packet loss and "No route to
host."

I temporarily disabled my lan's dhcp server and tried
to use m0n0wall's but the machines on the lan failed
to acquire an ip from it.

Can someone please help?  I see a lot of other people
successfully using it but I can't even get past stage
one.

Thanks in advance.
Bob.

Yahoo! Mail for Mobile