[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Robert <robertedstrom at yahoo dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Getting m0n0wall up and running.
 Date:  Sun, 28 Aug 2005 20:27:27 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks for the speedy reply.  Yes, this is a hard
drive install.  I use the #1 option to set the
appropriate interfaces for lan and wan, but I do not
reboot at this point.  I then use #2 to set the lan ip
address to 10.0.0.1/24.  After I do this and go to
another box on the network with 10.0.0.2/24, I can
ping m0n0 and vice versa.  I am able to web into the
m0n0 box and change settings such as ntp, hostname and
other things.  I haven't actually gone that deep into
the configuration.  If I reboot m0n0 and watch the
console, mono identifies the lan and wan interfaces
appropriately by mac address and states that the lan
ip address is 10.0.0.1.  If I go back to 10.0.0.2 and
ping 10.0.0.1, it fails.  If I go to mono and ping
10.0.0.2, it fails with a "no route to host."  If I
ping the 10.0.0.1 interface from mono, it succeeds.
If I then use the #1 option again to set the
appropriate lan and wan interfaces and do not reboot
the system, I can immediately ping 10.0.0.2 from m0n0
and vice versa.  I can then go to 10.0.0.2 and web
into m0n0.

There are no cds or floppy disks involved.  The only
thing special that I have to do is physically power
off the box on reboot.  I have a problem with this
machine when it reboots so I normally have to power
off the box and then bring it back up again.  With
linux, when I reboot, it hangs when running the post
so I have to kill it and start it up again.  With
mono, it will go

stopping vnlru
         buffdaemon
         syncer

syncing disks...
done
uptime 4m10s
rebooting...

Then hang at this point.  Any ideas why interfaces
don't become active even thought it appears to
initialize?

On a different note, I tried installing m0n0 on
another box, but I got a "read error" on bootup.  Any
ideas?  This 2nd box had a 6gb hard drive and 64MB of
ram.  An old 200 mhz hewlett packard vecta pc.

Thanks,
Bob.

http://mail.yahoo.com