[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 From:  Robert <robertedstrom at yahoo dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Getting m0n0wall up and running.
 Date:  Sun, 28 Aug 2005 20:27:27 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks for the speedy reply.  Yes, this is a hard
drive install.  I use the #1 option to set the
appropriate interfaces for lan and wan, but I do not
reboot at this point.  I then use #2 to set the lan ip
address to  After I do this and go to
another box on the network with, I can
ping m0n0 and vice versa.  I am able to web into the
m0n0 box and change settings such as ntp, hostname and
other things.  I haven't actually gone that deep into
the configuration.  If I reboot m0n0 and watch the
console, mono identifies the lan and wan interfaces
appropriately by mac address and states that the lan
ip address is  If I go back to and
ping, it fails.  If I go to mono and ping, it fails with a "no route to host."  If I
ping the interface from mono, it succeeds.
If I then use the #1 option again to set the
appropriate lan and wan interfaces and do not reboot
the system, I can immediately ping from m0n0
and vice versa.  I can then go to and web
into m0n0.

There are no cds or floppy disks involved.  The only
thing special that I have to do is physically power
off the box on reboot.  I have a problem with this
machine when it reboots so I normally have to power
off the box and then bring it back up again.  With
linux, when I reboot, it hangs when running the post
so I have to kill it and start it up again.  With
mono, it will go

stopping vnlru

syncing disks...
uptime 4m10s

Then hang at this point.  Any ideas why interfaces
don't become active even thought it appears to

On a different note, I tried installing m0n0 on
another box, but I got a "read error" on bootup.  Any
ideas?  This 2nd box had a 6gb hard drive and 64MB of
ram.  An old 200 mhz hewlett packard vecta pc.

--- Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com> wrote:

> and you're using a hard drive install?  This sounds
> like what happens
> when you are running the CD version either without a
> floppy or with a
> bad floppy.  Sounds like it's not saving the
> configuration, which I
> don't ever recall hearing of with anything but a CD
> install with
> floppy problems of some sort.  Quick check would be
> to change the LAN
> IP to something other than the default,
> reboot, and see
> what it says the LAN IP is.