[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Bagnall" <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc>
 To:  "'Greg Sims'" <Greg at HeadingUp dot net>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] m0n0walls WANs in Series
 Date:  Mon, 29 Aug 2005 13:09:14 +0100
> I would like to configure a second m0n0wall router behind the
> first one. The physical connection to the second m0n0wall is
> the LAN of the first m0n0wall
> - 10.0.0.0/24.  The WAN interface of this second m0n0wall
> needs to be one of the public ip addresses in my address
> range - let's say 1.2.3.102.

I'm not sure I quite understand why you'd want to do this? Adding extra
routers in front of your internet connection is just adding extra latency. 2
m0n0walls are no better than one given the scenario you painted.

The only times I can see where 2 m0n0walls are useful is in dual-WAN
configurations.

If you really did want to do as your scenario suggests, you could plug the
second m0n0 into an OPT interface on the first box on a filtered bridge with
WAN. That way you could give your 2nd box a public IP.

Regards,

Chris